As we approach the second half of 2019, it is imperative to keep up-to-date on current changes and trends within dentistry.
We’ve put together a comprehensive list of dental statistics that will refocus your strategies and direct you towards implementing smarter decisions for growing and scaling your practice. To make things easier, we sectioned our topics into five categories.
- 54% of customers have higher expectations for customer service than last year. For dentists, the standards for patient satisfaction is even higher. Providing a good patient experience isn't just enough, you need to go above and beyond for your patients by starting with personalization.
- 80% of customers are more likely to convert from a brand that provides personalized experiences. This is something to greatly consider now that you are running your dental practice as a business.
- Customers referred by other customers have a 37% higher retention rate.
- 72% of dentists consider generating referrals to be their most significant source for new patient appointments.
- 95% of customers tell others about a bad experience and 87% share good experiences. Since people are more likely to post about bad experiences, your reviews will be the most direct source of feedback and can help you understand what your practice is lacking.
- 86% of consumers read reviews for local businesses (including 95% of people aged 18-34).
- One way to further establish your practice as a trustworthy and approachable establishment is by replying to reviews. 60% of consumers feel that it is important for doctors to respond to online reviews.
- According to the Harvard Business Review, increasing customer retention rates by 5% can increase profits by 25% to 95%. Higher patient retention rates mean happier patients, and happy patients are the best advocates for your practice.
- According to Aegis Dental Network, 77% of the dentists surveyed use their practice website as a marketing channel, 68% uses social media, and 48% uses email. More and more dentists are implementing digital marketing strategies to promote their business, especially social media.
- 80% of users follow at least one Instagram business account.
- According to HubSpot, content marketing gets 3x more leads than paid search advertising. Content marketing is not only a cost-effective, but more importantly, provides relevant and valuable content that helps keep your patients informed.
- When prioritizing blogging efforts, you are 13x more likely to see positive ROI.
- More than 64% of smartphone users seek healthcare recommendations online. Patients are no longer passive in the process of receiving care, they’re searching for answers and your practice needs to meet them where they’re looking — online.
- 1/4 smartphone users utilize information found on social media to self-diagnose.
- 59% of adults would go without dental care because of cost.
- 86% of consumers surveyed will pay more for services with higher ratings and reviews.
- 80% of patients want their doctors to help them manage financial responsibilities by clearly communicating what insurance covers versus what they owe. Payment transparency could not only resolve your patient’s confusion but also establish a trusting relationship.
- According to Aegis Dental Network, dentists who utilize membership plans help patients plan their reoccurring visit to the dentist 2-3x more frequently than uninsured patients, and usually accept twice the amount of treatment.
- 43% of patients want to be able to request appointments online.
- We’re in the age of convenience. As a result, people have higher standards for responsiveness. According to McKinsey, 3/4 of online customers expect help within five minutes. Most customers expect a chat response immediately — the average wait time is merely forty-five seconds.
- 58% of Gen Z, Millennials, and Gen X agree that responsiveness to follow-up questions via email or phone, outside of the appointment is very important to their overall satisfaction.
- 57% of patients expect doctors to send appointment, provide reminders, and follow-up care through automated text, voice or email. With most social interactions happening online these days, over 50% of consumers prefer text message over calling. 90% of texts are read within three minutes, which shows that patients are more likely to engage through text than any kind of channel.
- 59% of Gen Y say that they would switch from their current medical provider for one with better online access. Since people are becoming more proactive about their health, it’s more important than ever to provide easy online access.
Analytics / Metrics
- 64% of healthcare organizations still don’t use patient-centric data to track their performance or only use them on a limited basis. Analytics can help your practice turn numbers and data into strategies and goals, leading back to better patient experiences.
- According to Forbes, 58% of enterprises see a significant increase in customer retention and loyalty after using customer analytics.
- Using patient analytics will also help you quantify your patient satisfaction. 85% of businesses are using real-time customer analytics to improve customer experiences, and 58% for increasing customer retention. Customer experience and loyalty are the two areas generating the greatest business value today.
Staying up-to-date on the latest trends will help you and your practice stay ahead of the curve. Practices today, more than ever are utilizing technology and marketing efforts to raise awareness, accrue new patients, and retain existing. As each year passes, do you have the right technology in place for all these changes? This is a big question to ask yourself. Many practices are updating their outdated legacy systems for modern technology that connects them to their patients with ease, such as NexHealth. Utilizing a patient experience management platform such as NexHealth helps secure your foundation for a successful practice. With easy, online-booking, online payments, reviews, reminders, two-way messaging, and reports, these are just a few key features that can skyrocket your practice and overall revenue.
To learn more about how you to implement these features into your practice, feel free to reach out to one of our specialists today and schedule a demo!